The Benefits of Physical Therapy
STEVENS POINT – Are you living with an injury or illness that makes it painful to move your body and enjoy life to the fullest? If so, there’s a good chance physical therapy (PT) could help you.
PT is a treatment for people with movement problems caused by a wide range of conditions. It can improve mobility, reduce pain, and help maximize a person’s ability to perform daily activities.
PT may help people who have:
- Sports and work-related injuries.
- Back and neck problems.
- Sprains, strains, and other orthopedic-related problems.
- Neurological problems, including certain stroke-related disabilities, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease.
- Chronic pain.
PT involves prescribed exercises and special movements of the joints and muscles. It also can involve the use of canes, walkers, crutches or other medical equipment. Hands-on therapy techniques can be part of PT, which might take place in a hospital, an outpatient clinic or other settings.
A physical therapist can tailor a treatment plan for you. He or she also may consult with doctors, surgeons, and other health care teams.
The benefits of PT depend on the patient’s specific condition and goals. For instance, it can help people:
- Manage pain without using opioid medications.
- Avoid surgery. For instance, people with joint problems often try PT first before considering whether to have joint replacement surgery.
- Recover from an injury or illness. PT is often part of a rehabilitation program prescribed after an injury or surgery. Additionally, PT can often help stroke survivors regain some lost abilities.
- Avoid future problems, such as decreased mobility, through fitness programs.
The dedicated therapy team at Aspirus provides each patient with attentive, customized care to ensure the best possible outcome. In Stevens Point, Aspirus offers physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech/swallowing therapy at Aspirus Outpatient Therapy Services, 2957 Church Street. For more information about the therapy services offered by Aspirus, visit aspirus.org/therapies or call 715.345.1447.
We welcome your stories! Contact us at [email protected]!