Submitted to OnFocus – Free rapid-results COVID-19 tests will again be available to community members at all three University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point campuses beginning in February.
More than 9,000 screening tests were administered at UW-Stevens Point campuses and more than 220,000 by the University of Wisconsin System at surge testing sites across the state. UW System will continue to partner with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to provide 140,000 additional Abbott BinaxNOW tests and associated confirmatory PCR tests for use across Wisconsin in the coming weeks.
“We thank the federal government for their confidence in us, and we’re pleased that our university sites can continue to be used in the fight against this insidious disease,” UW System President Thompson said. “Where there’s a problem, I want the UW System here to help.”
Advance appointments are required for these free tests and must be made at www.doineedacovid19test.com or by calling 1-800-635-8611. Because of demand for this service, same-day appointments cannot be guaranteed.
These are rapid-results tests, available in about 15 minutes at these locations:
- Starting Monday, Feb. 1: UW-Stevens Point at Wausau
608 S 7th Ave, Wausau, WI 54401
o Mondays and Thursdays, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
o UWSP at Wausau Fieldhouse at South 7th and Garfield avenues – park in lots D, E, F or on the street
o Held with student and employee rapid testing
- Starting Tuesday, Feb. 2: UW-Stevens Point at Marshfield
2000 W 5th St., Marshfield, WI 54449
- Tuesdays, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- UWSP at Marshfield Fieldhouse – park in south lot by the marauder statue. Enter the PE door.
- Held with student and employee rapid testing
- Starting Wednesday, Feb. 3: UW-Stevens Point
- Wednesdays and Fridays, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Dreyfus University Center, 1015 Reserve St., Stevens Point, WI 54481
Enter using the south east door (#1) and go down the hall to the second-floor food court by stairs and elevator
- Parking available in Lot R for 30 minutes
- This is separate from student and employee testing in Champions Hall
Those who test positive through the rapid-results test are urged to get a confirmatory PCR test. Individuals do not have to be experiencing symptoms or be a close contact of someone with COVID-19 to get a test, nor do they need to live in the community where the testing site is located. Individuals seeking to be tested will register in advance online, administer the test themselves under supervision, and label it for processing.
Here is the process:
- Schedule a free test in advance online at www.doineedacovid19test.com. Print your voucher and bring it with you, if possible.
- Go to the testing site selected on your appointment day.
- The test is a self-administered light nasal swab under the supervision of medical professionals.
- Results take 15 minutes.
- Participants will receive an email when results are ready. They can retrieve results by logging into the web portal where they registered. (Bring your user name and password with you.)
- Individuals will receive instructions on next steps, depending on test results and symptoms.
- PCR test will be available onsite to confirm the diagnosis for those who meet certain criteria. PCR test results will be available in 3-5 days.
- Face coverings and physical distancing are required.
The testing sites are operated by eTrueNorth under contract with the federal government. Testing is available at no cost to anyone ages 5 and older.
There’s no limit on how often a person can be tested. Anyone testing positive will need to isolate for 10 days to stop the spread.
For questions, please contact the COVID Hotline at [email protected] or 715-346-2619.
We welcome your stories! Contact us at [email protected]!