Voting for the OnFocus Team of the Week saw near record-breaking numbers in support of top area teams.
2,762 votes were cast, and when the dust settled, Wausau West Girls Basketball picked up the honor as the area’s top team with 1,224 votes.
Coming in right behind with 1,1234 votes was Wausau East Girls Basketball.
The combined vote totals for the pair of Wausau teams surpassed just about every total weekly voting numbers this season, an impressive turnout from Wausau fans!
Finishing third with an impressive total for any week was Pittsville Girls Basketball / Port Edwards Girls Basketball with 178 votes.
An additionally impressive 169 votes were collected from the Marshfield Gymnastics Team.
OnFocus Team of the Week, February 13 – February 19
- Wausau East Girls Basketball – The Lumberjacks defeated Merrill 47-38 for their first Wisconsin Valley Conference since 2010. The win snapped a 141 game WVC losing streak, with the last win coming against Rhinelander in March of 2010.
- Pittsville Girls Basketball / Port Edwards Girls Basketball – In the final regular season game of CWC foes Pittsville and Port Edwards, legendary Coach Don Neve, who coached at both schools, was honored for his contributions and achievements to both schools. Pittsville won the game, and a 50-50 raffle generated proceeds for a scholarship at Pittsville that will benefit students long-term.
- Marshfield Gymnastics – The Tigers claimed their fourth straight GNC Large Gymnastics Title on Saturday, collecting 135.25 points, and Ellie Jensen won the All-Around Title. The Tigers had first place finishes on the uneven bars from Hannah Merkel and Kyra Huff on the balance beam.
- Wausau West Girls Basketball – West defeated Wisconsin Rapids Lincoln Thursday by a score of 67-51 to claim the Wisconsin Valley Conference Girls Basketball Championship with a perfect 12-0 record in WVC play.
- SPASH Boys Hockey – The Panthers collected a pair of wins this week in the WIAA Boys Hockey Playoffs. SPASH dispatched the Barron co-op 9-0 in the regional semifinal, then took down Wausau West on the road, 3-1. SPASH faces top seeded Hudson in the sectional semifinals.
Know some top athletic performances? Seeing some great teams in action?
We can use your help, and it’s simple. Witness some great performances? Hear about top athletes and top teams in our area?
Nominate an athlete or team: HERE
Where are they Now? We feature athletes and difference makers from the past, standouts in sports who excelled over the years and have moved on. Know of a former athlete, coach or difference maker who we should feature? Know of a former standout competitor whose journey beyond central Wisconsin sports is one we should share? Send us information on athletes and difference makers of the past with our simple form HERE
Pancakes or Waffles! We feature top area athletes with our world-renowned feature. Send us your nominations for who you’d like us to interview HERE
Baked or Fried! We also feature difference makers throughout central Wisconsin: coaches, booster club leaders, adminstration, volunteers, you name it. Send us your nominations for who you’d like us to interview HERE
College Athlete Roundup! We want to recognize student-athletes from the area who are competing at the college level. Send us information on college athletes from the area with our simple form HERE
We welcome your stories! Contact us at [email protected]!