Use of Fire Extinguishers Prevents Further Damage at Stratford Business

(OnFocus) The Stratford Area Fire Department responded to a fire about 2 p.m. Monday at the ProVision Partners tire service center at the intersection of Highway 153 and 97 in Stratford.

The fire originated from an electric meter. By firefighter arrival, the fire had been put out by an employee, who used three fire extinguishers. Staff were already evacuated from the building.

Firefighters checked the walls and ceiling just in case, but the fire had not spread.

Mutual aid response was requested from the Edgar and McMillan volunteer fire departments at 2:10 p.m.

“We didn’t really need them, but you ever know when you get a call on a commercial building like that, especially with the close proximity to the other buildings,” said Tim Carey, Stratford Fire Chief. The tire service center is located close to the Bread & Butter gas station and also an LP gas filling station.

While fire departments generally have a harder time getting help during the week, Stratford received an “excellent turnout” from its fire department, Carey said, with 16 firefighters responding to the call.

The fire caused minimal damage to the electrical system, but the quick action of the employee to extinguish the fire prevented even further loss. “I think they would have had a lot more damage than they did, definitely,” Carey said.

The Stratford Area Fire Department completes fire inspections at businesses every six month as required by state law. During an inspection, it checks that each business has an adequate sized fire extinguisher that’s been tested annually by a fire extinguisher company.

In Monday’s incident, the use of the fire extinguishers likely saved the building, he said.

Kaylin S
Author: Kaylin S

Kaylin Speth is a Marshfield native with a bachelor's degree in English from UW-Green Bay. She enjoys highlighting the many great things happening in the community and bringing to life the untold stories. Email the team at [email protected]