Two Aspirus Hospitals Earn Patient Safety Award
WAUSAU – Aspirus Riverview Hospital and Aspirus Wausau Hospital have been named recipients of the Healthgrades 2020 Patient Safety Excellence AwardTM. The award recognizes the top 10 percent of hospitals in the nation for patient safety.
“I am thrilled that Aspirus Riverview Hospital is in the top 10 percent in the nation for patient safety,” said Chris Stines, president of Aspirus Riverview Hospital & Clinics. “A hospital is composed of individual team members, each equally important in working together toward a common goal. Receiving this award means each of our team members has worked hard to prevent injuries, infections and other serious preventable safety complications from reaching our patients, who trust us to protect them from harm. In addition to safeguarding our patients from harm, patient safety is a strong indicator associated with high-quality care. Our Aspirus mission to ‘heal people, promote health and strengthen communities’ all starts with patient safety. On behalf of our patients and our community, I would like to thank our team members for achieving this honored recognition.”
Healthgrades found that patients treated in hospitals receiving the Patient Safety Excellence Award were, on average:
- 48.3 percent less likely to experience a collapsed lung due to a procedure or surgery in or around the chest, than patients treated at non-recipient hospitals
- 54.4 percent less likely to experience a hip fracture following surgery, than patients treated at non-recipient hospitals
- 66.8 percent less likely to experience pressure sores or bedsores acquired in the hospital, than patients treated at non-recipient hospitals
- 63 percent less likely to experience catheter-related bloodstream infections acquired at the hospital, than patients treated at non-recipient hospitals
- For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance in 32 common conditions and procedures.
“Consumers might not know that information around patient safety is readily available and should be considered when researching health care options,” said Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer, Healthgrades. “We commend the recipients of the 2020 Patient Safety Excellence Award for their dedication to providing excellent care for their patients.”
Aspirus Langlade Hospital also earned the Healthgrades 2020 Outstanding Patient Experience Award.
For more information about the Healthgrades 2020 Patient Safety Excellence AwardTM or to see the list of recipients, visit https://www.healthgrades.com/quality/patient-safety-excellence-award-2020-recipients
We welcome your stories! Contact us at [email protected]!