Stevens Point School Threat Confirmed as Hoax

Update:

A threat involving the Stevens Point School District is deemed “not credible” by law enforcement.

During a press conference, Superintendent Craig Gerlach said a parent alerted high school administration at 8 a.m. of a possible threat on social media believed to be linked to a current student. SPASH administration notified local law enforcement and central office administration. The threat was not specific to a building which led to decision to a district-wide lockout at 8:42 a.m. which was lifted at 10:15 a.m. after it was learned the threat was not credible.

Assistant Chief Tom Zenner said officers were shown a photo of a Snapchat which stated the author was planning a shooting on Oct. 18 at 12 p.m. with no location given. Based on other social media posts from other individuals and statements received from the complainant, a 16 year-old male student was detained and questioned concerning the post.

The investigation confirmed the student was not involved and was cleared. The post originated in North Carolina and had been circulating on social media for several weeks.

Plover Police assisted in the investigation.

A threat involving the Stevens Point School District was confirmed by law enforcement to be a hoax.

At 8:42 a.m., the district placed a lockout based on a threat received concerning a school in the district.

The Stevens Point Police Department said the threat was a hoax originating from another state.

“Law enforcement has confirmed that the incident was a social media threat deemed not credible. While the threat was deemed not credible, we take student safety seriously and appreciate your patience as we worked with law enforcement throughout the morning,” the district stated on its Facebook page.

A joint news conference will be held at the Bliss Educational Service Center at 1900 Polk St. regarding the incident.