Voting for the OnFocus Athlete of the Week, January 2 – January 8 saw a pair of athletes with Spencer connections taking two of the top three spots.
Taking the honors of the Top Performer for January 2 – January 8 was Spencer Rockets Girls Basketball’s Heavyn Kind, collecting 309 votes.
Finishing in second place was Marshfield Gymnast Hannah Merkel with 170 votes.
Spencer alum and North Dakota State University’s Hunter Luepke finished in third place with 148 votes.
- Hunter Luepke, North Dakota State University(nominated online) – The former Spencer/Columbus standout had a monster day for the Bison, as they captured the FCS National Championship Game on Saturday. Luepke scored three touchdowns and ran for 82 yards in the win.
- Taylor Martin, Port Edwards Girls Basketball – Martin scored 25 points for the Blackhawks in their 49-23 win over Marion.
- Heavyn Kind, Spencer Girls Basketball – Kind had a huge scoring week for the Rockets. Kind had 31 points in a 60-26 win over Pittsville, 30 points in a 54-33 win over Colby, and 27 points in a 51-27 win over Greenwood.
- Jazelle Hartwig, Athens Girls Basketball – Hartwig poured in a career-high 34 points as Athens trounced Chequamegon, 80-10.
- Hannah Merkel, Marshfield Gymnastics – Merkel had a nice day Saturday at the Charlie Martin Gymnastics Invitational at Wisconsin Rapids. Merkel had a second place finish on the uneven bars, a pair of third place finishes on the vault and balance beam, and took second in the all-around competition.
Voting ends Wednesday at 5:00 PM
Know some top athletic performances? Seeing some great teams in action?
We can use your help, and it’s simple. Witness some great performances? Hear about top athletes and top teams in our area?
Nominate an athlete or team: HERE
Pancakes or Waffles! We feature top area athletes with our world-renowned feature. Send us your nominations for who you’d like us to interview HERE
Baked or Fried! We also feature difference makers throughout central Wisconsin: coaches, booster club leaders, adminstration, volunteers, you name it. Send us your nominations for who you’d like us to interview HERE
College Athlete Roundup! We want to recognize student-athletes from the area who are competing at the college level. Send us information on college athletes from the area with our simple form HERE
Where are they Now? We feature athletes and difference makers from the past, standouts in sports who excelled over the years and have moved on. Know of a former athlete, coach or difference maker who we should feature? Know of a former standout competitor whose journey beyond central Wisconsin sports is one we should share? Send us information on athletes and difference makers of the past with our simple form HERE
We welcome your stories! Contact us at [email protected]!