OnFocus — Security Health Plan of Wisconsin, Inc. announces the recipients of school-based behavioral health grants for the 2018-19 school year in an effort to promote the behavioral health and well-being of young children in local communities.
Evidence shows that behavioral health is critical to many aspects of learning and development. “Early identification of behavioral health issues and accompanying intervention help students thrive both in and beyond the classroom” said Manager of Community Benefits Allison Machtan.
The b.e.s.t. (Behavioral Emotional Social Traits) universal screening is a tool designed to help teachers identify behavioral, emotional and social health and risk factors in school-aged children. The online screening provides a way to measure behavioral observations and assists school personnel to connect students in need with resources and support.
The screening has been used in school districts throughout Wisconsin and states across the country, with 69,000 students screened to date. Recipients of the grant will be provided with technical support, bi-annual screenings for students, training as well as consultation and support.
“Like the vision and hearing screenings Wisconsin schools have required since 2001, the b.e.s.t. screening helps educational professionals identify behavioral health and risk factors. It then offers data-based solutions when they can have the greatest impact – while students are young,” said Eric Hartwig, Ph.D., school psychologist, former administrator of pupil services for the Marathon County Children with Disabilities Education Board and developer of the b.e.s.t. screening.
The grant will be used in 38 school districts and 84 elementary schools throughout the state in the 2018-19 school year. More than 23,000 students will benefit from the program.
The recipients are:
- Antigo Unified School District
- Arcadia Elementary School
- Augusta Area School District
- Arbor Vitae-Woodruff Elementary School
- Chequamegon School District
- Chilton Public School District
- Chippewa Falls Area Unified School District
- Cumberland School District
- DC Everest School District
- Durand-Arkansaw School District
- Edgar School District
- Granton Area Schools
- Lac du Flambeau School
- Lake Holcombe School
- Loyal Elementary School
- Marathon City School District
- Marathon County Child Development
- Marinette School District
- Minocqua J1 School District
- North Lakeland School District
- Osseo-Fairchild School District
- Phelps School District
- Regis Catholic Schools
- Rosholt School District
- School District of Athens
- School District of Fall Creek
- School District of Flambeau
- School District of Stratford
- School District of Waupaca
- Spencer School District
- Stevens Point Area Public School District
- Three Lakes School District
- Turtle Lake School District
- Wautoma Area School District
- Webster School District
- Wild Rose School District
- Wisconsin Heights
- Wisconsin Rapids Public Schools