Marshfield (OnFocus) – A spirited battle for the latest top team saw Marshfield Softball edge Marathon Softball to take the title of OnFocus Team of the Week, June 13 – June 19. Voters in central Wisconsin came out in big numbers, casting 1,759 votes!
Marshfield Softball collected 635 votes, with Marathon Softball taking second place with 596 votes.
- Assumption Girls Soccer – 230 votes
- Athens Softball/Pacelli Softball – 158 votes
- Columbus Catholic / Almond-Bancroft Softball 140 votes
OnFocus Team of the Week Nominees, June 13 – June 19
- Athens Softball / Pacelli Softball – The pair of softball powerhouses look to be in their primes, as they thumped the competition enroute to berths in the sectionals. #2 Athens defeated #7 Prentice (15-0) and #6 Drummond (15-0) while Pacelli throttled #8 Marion(17-1) and #4 Newman Catholic(21-11).
- Assumption Girls Soccer – Call the Royals this year’s Giant Killers. Seeded #4 in the posteason playoffs, Assumption earned a berth in the WIAA State Soccer Tournament. After dispatching #5 seed Richland Center 6-0, the Royals defeated #1 Wisconsin Heights/Barneveld (2-1), #2 Aquinas (3-2), and #1 Regis/McDonell Catholic (2-0) to make it to state next week.
- Marshfield Softball – As the #5 seed, Marshfield had its work cut out to advance to sectionals, and they did just that, by defeating a pair of WVC rivals. The Tigers went on the road to defeat #4 seed Wisconsin Rapids Lincoln (11-1) and #1 seed DC Everest (10-2) and face another WVC rival, #3 seed SPASH in the sectional semifinals.
- Marathon Softball – Marathon entered the postseason with a #6 seed, but has been dominant in earning a sectional berth. The Red Raiders dispatched #3 seed Mondovi(7-2) and #2 Cochrane-Fountain City(9-2) to advance to sectionals where they’ll face #1 seed Blair-Taylor on Monday.
- Columbus Catholic Softball / Almond-Bancroft Softball – It’s not often two schools are nominated together, but Columbus and A-B wowed the state by knocking a pair of state powers to make it to sectional play. As the #5 seed, Columbus downed #4 Port Edwards(8-0) before knocking off #1 seed Bangor(10-7), ranked #6 in the WFSCA rankings. Almond-Bancroft opened the postseason with a 15-0 drubbing of #6 Tigerton before defeating #1 seed and #1 ranked in the WFSCA rankings, Assumption, by a score of 3-2.
With so many outstanding performances, we can use your help. Know an athlete or team who you’d like to nominate for next week’s Team of the Week? Be sure to NOMINATE a top performer using our easy to complete form each week.
Know of an athlete in central Wisconsin people should get to know better?
Know of a coach or difference maker in central Wisconsin?
We welcome your stories! Contact us at [email protected]!