Submitted to OnFocus – MARSHFIELD, WI – The United We Can Committee is proud to announce the winners of the 2021 Canned Food Sculpture Virtual Contest!
2021 Award Recipients:
- Fan Favorite 251 or More: Forward Bank with 476 votes (name of sculpture: AmeriCAN Flag)
- Fan Favorite 250 or Less: St. Vincent de Paul Outreach with 239 votes (name of sculpture: Marshfield’s Round Barn)
- Tallest Sculpture: Trinity Lutheran Church Youth Group at 95” tall (name of sculpture: Youthful Twist)
- Most Items Used: Forward Bank with 1,057 items (name of sculpture: AmeriCAN Flag)
- Century 21 Gold Key (name of sculpture: Round Barn)
- Christ Lutheran Church (name of sculpture: God’s Goods)
- Columbus Catholic Schools (name of sculpture: Columbus Don)
- Everett Roehl Marshfield Public Library (name of sculpture: READ)
- Fairway Independent Mortgage Corporation (name of sculpture: R.E.D. Fights Hunger at Fairway)
- First Presbyterian Church (name of sculpture: CANon in D sung by FPC’s Covid Choir)
- Marshfield Insurance (name of sculpture: Here For You Through Life’s Ups and Downs)
- Nelson-Jameson (name of sculpture: Fighting Hunger)
- Next Home Hub City (name of sculpture: #HumansOverHouses)
- Roehl Transport, Inc. (name of sculptures: The Can Truck and The Leaning Tower of Food)
- Staab Construction (name of sculpture: I Spy Staab)
The REAL winners of the United We Can contest are our local food programs – Nutrition On Weekends, Soup or Socks and St. Vincent de Paul Outreach – who will receive the food from the sculptures AND from food drives held by the following businesses: Festival Foods, Pick N’ Save and Wenzel Farm Sausage. A grand total of 5,268 food items were collected, including: 1,808 cans of soup, 871 cans of vegetables, 669 cans of fish/tuna, 625 boxes of pasta and 323 cans of tomato products. The total value of all the items donated is estimated to be worth $5,805.25.
All of the entries can be viewed on the Marshfield Area United Way’s Facebook Event Page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/760511311329888/?active_tab=discussion
The Leadership Marshfield United We Can Committee and Marshfield Area United Way staff would like to congratulate ALL of the organizations who submitted an entry; and thank everyone who helped to make this year’s event a success.
“We are so grateful to all who supported this event,” said Ashley Winch, Executive Director of Marshfield Area United Way. “What a fun and creative way to support our local food pantries during a time where the shelves can start to become empty. We look forward to the future and building upon the success of this year.”
The event was held virtually this year with canned food sculptures being built on-location at each business or organization. Building took place May 10 – 21, 2021; and community members were able to vote on their favorites from May 25-28, 2021.
Sculptures needed to be at least 50% non-perishable food items; food items could not be altered nor could labels be removed; and food items could NOT be expired. Monetary donations can still be made on the Soup or Socks website: www.souporsocks.org.
Members of the Leadership Marshfield Class who are working on this project include: Becky Cera, Forward Bank; Carlos Escudero, Opportunity Development Centers, Inc.; Angela Loucks, Columbus Catholic Schools; and Stephanie Rasmussen, Marshfield Insurance.
We welcome your stories! Contact us at [email protected]!