OnFocus – Simple, savory, cheesy, easy! Mini Mushroom Tarts are the perfect appetizers to enjoy before (or during) a fancy meal.
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
¼ tsp. salt
16 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp. dried thyme
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
4 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded
2 (10-inch) square sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg, beaten
3 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and salt; sauté onions until they begin to brown. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Transfer onions to a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil in skillet over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and black pepper; sauté for 1 more minute or until garlic is fragrant. Transfer to bowl with onions, add cheese and stir to combine.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry sheets. With a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut each pastry sheet into 16 rounds.
- Transfer the rounds to prepared baking sheets. Brush lightly with beaten egg. Lightly prick each pastry round with a fork to allow air to escape. Top each round with ¼ tsp. mustard and 1 Tbsp. of mushroom filling.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until pastry is golden and crisp. Rotate pans halfway through baking time. Let bites cool for 5 minutes before garnishing with parsley; serve warm or at room temperature.
Don’t have a cookie cutter? Cut pastry into squares using a pizza cutter instead.
Per Serving: Calories 90, Total Fat 6g (Saturated 2.5g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 125mg, Total Carbohydrate 9g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Total Sugars 1g, Includes 0g Added Sugars), Protein 3g, Vitamin D 0%, Calcium 4%, Iron 6%, Potassium 2%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
We welcome your stories! Contact us at [email protected]!