- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
2 (24 oz.) jars of pasta sauce
16 whole grain lasagna noodles
16 oz. part skim ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- Add the ground Italian sausage to a large sauté pan and cook over medium-high heat until sausage is browned. Remove from heat and drain off any excess grease. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, as the meat is cooking, begin to assemble the lasagna. Spray the insert of a large 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer ¼ of the pasta sauce, four lasagna noodles (breaking them into smaller pieces as needed to fit evenly to cover the bottom of the slow cooker), ⅓ of the ricotta cheese, ¼ of the mozzarella, ¼ of the parmesan, ⅓ of the cooked ground meat and ⅓ of the chopped spinach. Repeat this process two more times. Then repeat with one more layer of noodles, sauce, mozzarella and parmesan.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours, or until the noodles are tender.
- Turn off the heat, and sprinkle the top of the lasagna evenly with additional parmesan and fresh basil. Serve immediately.
Per Serving: Calories 570, Total Fat 24g (Saturated 10g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 90mg, Sodium 780mg, Total Carbohydrate 49g (Dietary Fiber 8g, Sugars 7g), Protein 40g, Vitamin A 40%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 60%, Iron 25%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.