MARSHFIELD, WI (OnFocus) – This fresh spin on traditional green bean casserole combines crunchy green beans, savory cheddar cheese sauce and ultra-crisp onion rings to make a fun holiday appetizer or side dish.
- 12 oz. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into quarters
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 6 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 ½ cups)
- ¾ cup French’s Fried Onions
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced into ¼
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup sriracha
- ¼ cup prepared horseradish
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Cooking spray
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Chopped chives for garnish, optional
- In a large bowl, stir together green beans, condensed cream of mushroom soup, cheddar cheese and fried onions. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange onion rings in a single layer on top. Spoon green bean mixture into the center of each onion ring, making sure to fill each ring completely. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until filling is solid.
- Preheat air fryer to 375°F. Lightly spray basket insert with cooking spray.
- Place flour, eggs and panko breadcrumbs into three separate shallow bowls. Dip each frozen onion ring into flour, egg and then panko to fully cover; gently press to adhere. Set aside and repeat with remaining onion rings.
- Place breaded onion rings into air fryer basket in a single layer. Spritz with cooking spray. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip onion rings and spritz with cooking spray. Cook for an additional 6 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to a plate. Repeat with remaining onion rings.
- In a small bowl, mix together sriracha, horseradish and mayonnaise until well combined.
- Top onion rings with chives and serve warm with dipping sauce.
Chef’s Tips: For a less spicy sauce, use 2 Tbsp. sriracha, 2 Tbsp. prepared horseradish and ¼ cup mayonnaise
Place breaded onion rings on a baking sheet. Spray each onion ring with cooking spray. Bake at 375°F or until bubbling. Broil on high 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
Per Serving: Calories 380, Total Fat 17g (Saturated 6g, Trans 0g), Cholesterol 130mg, Sodium 670mg, Total Carbohydrate 44g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Total Sugars 5g, Includes 0g Added Sugars), Protein 14g, Vitamin D 6%, Calcium 15%, Iron 10%, Potassium 6%
*Nutritional values are an approximation. Actual nutritional values may vary due to preparation techniques, variations related to suppliers, regional and seasonal differences, or rounding.
We welcome your stories! Contact us at [email protected]!