Submitted to OnFocus – Free rapid-results COVID-19 tests continue to be available to community members at all three University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point campuses in December and January.
More than 5,600 screening tests have been administered since this service began Nov. 9 for the public and UW-Stevens Point employees and students.
“We are clearly meeting a need in our communities for this quick, convenient screening test and encourage community members to take advantage of it,” said Tony Babl, University Police chief, who is coordinating the testing sites.
Advance appointments are required for these free tests and must be made at www.doineedacovid19test.com. Because of high demand for this service, same-day appointments cannot be guaranteed.
Testing will continue to be available through Wednesday, Dec. 23, then will resume Monday, Jan. 4. Testing is from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on this weekly rotation:
- Wausau – Mondays and Thursdays – UWSP at Wausau fieldhouse at South 7th and Garfield avenues – park in Lots D, E, F or on the street.
- Marshfield – Tuesdays – UWSP at Marshfield fieldhouse – park in south lot by the marauder statue. Enter the PE door.
- Stevens Point – Wednesdays and Fridays – Champions Hall (fieldhouse) Multi-Activity Center – park in Lot F West at Fourth Avenue and Isadore Street. Enter through Door #9 from west lot.
UW-Stevens Point is partnering with all University of Wisconsin System institutions and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to make these screening tests available. This federal “surge testing” operation uses Abbott BinaxNOW rapid point-of-care tests that provide results within 15 minutes.
“While COVID-19 cases are low on UW-Stevens Point campuses, they have soared in Wisconsin. We are providing this free service in our communities to help identify people who may have the novel coronavirus so we can slow the spread of COVID-19,” Babl said.
Here is the process:
- Schedule a free test in advance online at www.doineedacovid19test.com. Print your voucher and bring it with you, if possible.
- Go to the testing site selected on your appointment day.
- The test is a self-administered light nasal swab under the supervision of medical professionals.
- Results take 15 minutes.
- Participants will receive an email when results are ready. They can retrieve results by logging into the web portal where they registered. (Bring your user name and password with you.)
- Individuals will receive instructions on next steps, depending on test results and symptoms.
- PCR test will be available onsite to confirm the diagnosis for those who meet certain criteria. PCR test results will be available in 3-5 days.
- Face coverings and physical distancing are required.
Appointments are listed only one week in advance and fill quickly. If no appointments are available, check back the morning after a testing is held at a given location. Appointments cannot be scheduled by phone or in-person.
The testing sites are operated by eTrueNorth under contract with the federal government. Testing is available at no cost to anyone ages 5 and older. Individuals do not have to be experiencing symptoms or be considered a close contact of someone with COVID-19 to get a test, nor do they need to live in the community where the testing site is located.
There is no limit on how often a person can be tested. Babl suggests anyone who plans to spend time with those outside their household be tested before and after the holidays.
Anyone testing positive will need to isolate for 10 days to stop the spread.
The BinaxNOW tests are in addition to antigen screening tests already offered students at the Stevens Point campus. These tests, in the Science Building, are for students only.
For questions, please contact the COVID Hotline at [email protected] or 715-346-2619.
We welcome your stories! Contact us at [email protected]!