Central Wisconsin Snowmobile Trails Expected to Open
(OnFocus) If you’re planning to snowmobile in Central Wisconsin this weekend, keep in mind these local ways to warm up, fuel up, and stay safe while on the trails.
Snowmobile maps are available at Weiler Convenience Stores in Marshfield, along with hot coffee, snacks, fuel, handwarmers, and more.
“When the trails are open, we have a lot of snowmobilers who stop by to warm up, get fuel, or stock up on snacks,” said Kelly Weiler, owner. “We love being a local spot for people to congregate every year!”
For those planning to hit the trails, Marshfield Insurance reminds to do so safely.
“Snowmobiling is a great way to enjoy the great outdoors, but before you turn on the engine, it is wise to learn how to properly operate the mechanical controls and safety devices of the vehicle,” said Nick Arnoldy, owner/broker. “It is also important to read the owner’s manual and take a safety course.”
Safety Tips from Marshfield Insurance:
- Wear a helmet, eye protection and protective clothing suitable for the environment that you are riding in.
- Do not allow young or inexperienced riders to operate snowmobiles without supervision.
- Do not consume alcohol or use drugs before or during your ride.
- Learn the proper riding skills and practice them while the motor is turned off.
- Stay on trails designated for snowmobile use.
- Always maintain a safe distance between other riders, and never ride alone.
- Always obey the law.
- Dress and equip yourself appropriately before riding. Check your local forecast to prevent cold-related illnesses.
- Familiarize yourself with the area that you are riding in, and become aware of potential hazards.
- Always ride at a safe and responsible speed.
- Clear snow dust off your tail lights frequently.
Inexperienced riders are much more likely to be involved in serious snowmobiling accidents than their seasoned counterparts. Contact the state’s Department of Natural Resources for more information on available safety courses for both adults and young riders. In most states, they are mandatory for extremely young riders (ages 10 to 15) if they intend to ride off their parents’ property.
After a fun day of snowmobiling Central Wisconsin trails, riders can find refuge at Hotel Marshfield, where a warm jacuzzi and hot beverage awaits.