Almond (OnFocus) – A two-way race in the voting for the OnFocus Athlete of the Week, May 2 – May 8 saw Thomas Hunt of Almond-Bancroft receive the most votes. Hunt collected 33 votes, edging Noah Eckelberg of Columbus Catholic, who had 303 votes.
Logan Schulfer of SPASH was third with 121 votes.
OnFocus Athlete of the Week Nominees, Week of May 2 – May 8
- Marco Olvera, Abbotsford/Colby Baseball – Olvera threw a no hitter for Abbotsford/Colby in their doubleheader sweep of Spencer Saturday. Olvera struck out 11 batters in the win.
- Noah Eckleburg, Columbus Catholic Track (nominated online) – Eckleburg is on pace for a remarkable season in track, competing in four wheelchair events for the Dons. Although official state track records can only be marked at the state meet, Eckelburg is on pace to shatter multiple records. Eckelburg has topped the shot put record in two meets this season, has topped the 400 meter mark by almost three seconds, and is just three seconds off the 800 meter mark.
- Thomas Hunt, Almond-Bancroft Baseball (nominated online) – Hunt hurled a perfect game for the Eagles in their 16-0 shutout of Wild Rose, striking out 12 batters in the abbreviated 5 inning game. Hunt also was a key player at the plate, picking up 2 hits, 2 walks, scored 4 runs and had an RBI.
- Braelon Allen / Kyle Walljasper, Fond du Lac Football – The backfield duo had a night for the ages Friday evening, combining for 590 yards rushing as #1 ranked Fond du Lac outgunned #2 Kimberly in Week 7 of the alternate football season. In the 71-48 win, Walljasper piled up 320 yards on 16 carries, scoring five touchdowns and throwing for another. Allen added 270 yards on just 12 carries, hitting paydirt four times.
- Logan Schulfer, SPASH Baseball – Schulfer turned in a complete game wonder, surrendering just one hit and walking 3 while striking out 13 as part of a SPASH doubleheader sweep of Wausau West.
We welcome your stories! Contact us at [email protected]!